- Minneapolis College of Art and Design
- Minneapolis, MN
- Chair, Faculty
The Minneapolis College of Art and Design (MCAD), a college distinguished for 135 years of advancing art and design, is seeking a collaborative, forward-looking, highly creative, and visionary individual to become the Chair of Arts Entrepreneurship, founded in 2012, is one of the first programs of its kind in an art and design school. The Chair will provide empathetic leadership to uphold the college's values–maintaining open critical discourse, embracing multifaceted identities, celebrating transformational ideas, and supporting community-based, collaborative, shared experiences. This position offers a unique opportunity for a motivated individual with vision to work collaboratively and generate a measurable and decidedly positive impact on the members of our creative community, and the cultural society in which we reside. Arts Entrepreneurship includes a BS in Entrepreneurial Studies, a BFA in Product Design, and two minors, Advertising and Entrepreneurship.
Arts Entrepreneurship students are creative innovators with diverse creative practices and career interests who embrace a transdisciplinary teamwork approach to real-world client-based projects. Working as partners, students apply the power of artistic and design methodologies to identify solutions to projects in for-profit, non-profit and governmental contexts. In addition to leading and shaping the program, the Chair will develop local and national relationships to support client-based collaborative projects. The Chair will provide creative vision and proactive leadership in teaching, program innovation, and community outreach. Beyond business and entrepreneurial acumen, the ideal candidate will be versed in social entrepreneurship, Web 3.0/emerging technologies, progressive leadership methodologies, and forward-looking organizational practices that are collaborative, cooperative, decentralized, and adaptive.
Minneapolis College of Art and Design (MCAD)
Recognized nationally and internationally for its innovative approaches to art and design education, Minneapolis College of Art and Design (MCAD) is home to approximately 800 students from 45 states and 15 countries. Offering a transformative education for creative practitioners of all backgrounds, MCAD prepares students to confidently lead and practice in an ever-evolving world. It's where students find their personal and professional purpose as creative, cultural leaders.
Founded in 1886, MCAD is located in the heart of the rich art-and-design community of the Twin Cities. The college offers bachelor's degrees in fourteen disciplines including arts entrepreneurship, design, fine arts, and media arts, one MFA, three online master's degrees, and continuing education classes for all ages.
MCAD's four-year graduation rate is among the highest of all art-and-design colleges. Through the core curriculum, students focus on their careers and craft by learning technical and professional skills and developing their creative, intellectual, and leadership capabilities.
Including Emmy-winning directors, Whitney Biennial artists, and Guggenheim fellows, MCAD alumni make an impact. They set new standards across a broad range of creative careers, from independent artist to corporate designer to entrepreneur.
The Chair of Arts Entrepreneurship position reports to the Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA). The Chair will be responsible for teaching two courses each year with Faculty rank commensurate with experience. As a member of academic leadership, the Chair serves on the Academic Cabinet and the College's Curriculum Committee.
A terminal degree in a related discipline, or other advanced professional degree, demonstrated administrative and teaching experience (minimum three years), a record of achievement as an artist/designer and/or scholar/creative entrepreneur, and/or equivalent professional experience is required. The position begins July 1, 2022.
- Champions increased equity, diversity, and inclusion among students, faculty, and staff;
- Designs and evaluates curricula with faculty to ensure students are exposed to a wide range of knowledge informed by a diverse array of experiences, philosophies, and ways of knowing;
- Integrates curricular and co-curricular programming to support student success;
- Builds collaborative relationships across the college and fosters a climate of collaboration with departmental chairs and faculty to define shared and individual goals;
- Hires and assesses faculty according to procedures and policies outlined by the collective bargaining agreement between MCAD and the Service Employees International Union (SEIU);
- Provides leadership and vision to faculty through mentoring, coaching, and modelling key leadership behaviors, and strategies;
- Supports the college's enrollment management plan through student recruitment and retention initiatives and as a contributor to the Student Success Committee;
- Ensures the departmental budget is monitored, evaluated, and administered in alignment with activities and goals set out in the college's strategic and academic plans;
- Advises students in collaboration with student support staff;
- Oversees curricular change through accreditation;
- Monitors student-learning outcomes;
- Represents the program on committees and in the larger community;
- Recruits and evaluates area faculty;
- Teaches two courses per academic year;
- Helps advise students on internships
The successful candidate will possess:
- An enthusiasm for building a strong program grounded in experiential and active learning
- A proven track record establishing working relationships with peers, administrators, employees and business communities
- The ability to motivate faculty, students, and staff around shared goals
- Effective change-management skills
- Experience with entrepreneurship and/or business development and public outreach
This position has been identified as security sensitive and will require a background check. At the discretion of the college, various background checks may be done during the course of employment.
Application Deadline: Priority will be given to those who respond by January 10, 2022. Preliminary interviews will be conducted via Google Meet. A background check will be made prior to employment. The position begins July 1, 2022.
Applications should include:
- A cover letter that describes the candidate's interest in the position, relevant qualifications, and a reflection on the candidate's potential to contribute to a diverse and inclusive environment through teaching, research, and/or service;
- A curriculum vitae;
- A teaching portfolio, including a teaching philosophy and documentation of teaching practice (student work samples);
- Complete information for three professional references: names, institutional affiliations, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers;
- Evidence of creative, scholarly or professional work.
MCAD's community of staff and faculty enjoy a dynamic, creative, and inclusive work environment. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, and 403(b) retirement plans, commuter benefits, and generous paid time off. In addition, after six months of service, full-time employees and their eligible dependents can receive free tuition at MCAD, as well as the potential to receive reduced tuition at more than 600 colleges nationwide.
MCAD is especially interested in candidates from under-represented groups as well as individuals who have experience with diverse populations who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the MCAD community. Members of the BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) community are strongly encouraged to apply.
More search results
Faculty Position in Sedimentary Systems Science
University of Minnesota, Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences, Twin Cities
Multiple Tenure-stream Positions
Dept.of Computer Science, University of Toronto
Two Position Announcements for Professor level Op…
University of Arizona, School of Plant Sciences
Faculty in School of Music: Music Skills and Theo…
CalArts - California Institute of the Arts
Assistant/Associate Professor of Communication: F…
School of Communication, Western Michigan University